After Christmas, we will be selecting new pupils for our Active School Committee. This wonderful bunch provided us with great ideas and they were very motivating for the rest of our pupils. Well done everyone!
Our girls basketball team will be training after school on Thursdays from 3 - 4pm. All girls from 4th - 6th classes are welcome to attend training.
The new Junior Infants love to keep active.
Here they are enjoying one of their daily dance routines!
Our school entered 6 teams in the Cross Country Running competition this year. We had lots of fun running in the team trials before we took part in the competition at Lees Road. Well done to everyone for the great effort!
We have been very busy over the past few months taking part in many schools competitions! We started this year with the Cumann na mBunscol Football Competition in September & October. Boys and girls from 3rd - 6th classes took part. We were delighted to travel to Cusack Park on October 25th to see our girls display their football skills and win the final.
We took part in the Cross Country Running Competition in September with many of our pupils qualifying for the second round which took place in November.
On the 15th of February, our girls were once again victorious, this time in the indoor camogie competition.
We were so proud on May 11th when the girls won the INTO Mini Sevens Camogie Final.
It has been a great year so far and we have enjoyed taking part in all competitions whether we have won or lost. We are fortunate to have great parental support in training pupils and enthusiastic teachers who provide lots of encouragement.
We are looking forward to the next few weeks, which will no doubt be filled with lots of sport and activity!
1. Active Challenge: each class representative will tell their class about the running challenge to be completed by June 15th.
2. Active Slogan: each class will display the Active Slogan in their classroom.
3. We will create bar charts to show some of the results from our Active Survey.
All classes have been taking part in the Food Dudes programme. We are learning about the importance of putting the right fuel in our bodies so that we will be able to enjoy being active! Mr. Gantley is organising the fruit & vegetables every day. We have tried mangetout, carrots, peppers, cucumber, apples, grapes, bananas & mandarins.
Instead of a meeting this week, the committee worked on art for the Active Schools notice board. We are hoping to add lots of information to the notice board over the next few months!
We had some great ideas from Jamie & Ms. Pyne for today's meeting. Jamie thought that it would be a good idea to have Active Homework one day each week. All the teachers will give Active Homework on Mondays from now on.
Ms. Pyne suggested that on Fridays, we could have "active" lining up after big break. Members of the Active Committee will lead the classes in exercises for a few minutes. We're sure that all pupils will be delighted to try it!
1. Survey: we went through the survey results and we chose a slogan.
2. Running Challenge ideas: we decided that every Friday, each class will run laps of the court for 10 minutes. We are hoping that every pupil will notice an improvement in their own fitness by the end of the year.
3. Tom & Eoghan helped Ms. Wylde to clear out the shed. There was a lot of broken equipment and it was very difficult to get in to the shed. Teachers will be reminded to put equipment back after PE classes and the Active Committee will check the shed daily after breaks.